Skip to Content
Subscribe Family Law Blog

Can I Keep My Ex’s New Relationship Away From My Kids?

Going through a divorce can be a difficult process, made more so when there are children involved and your time with them is limited. As a married couple, your access to your children is unrestricted, but that is not the case after a divorce, when a court will order specific time for the children to be with each parent. Having a new person in your ex’s life who may be spending time with your children can be scary and produce a lot of anxiety.

So, what, if anything, can you do to keep your ex’s new relationship from your children? It depends if you addressed the topic during the divorce. Sometimes parents will agree to include a clause in a parenting plan that neither parent will introduce the children to a new relationship for 3 months, 6 months, a year, etc. However, if the parents do not agree on such a clause, a court in Missouri cannot include that clause in a plan.

If there is no objective danger caused by the other person being around your children, and there is no clause in the parenting plan preventing someone from being introduced to your children, there may not be a lot you can do. Talking to a family law attorney about your concerns, and the possible remedies, is a good first step before addressing the issue with your ex.

For this or other family law matters, please contact one of the family law attorneys at Sandberg Phoenix.

Share This Blog Post

Related Services

Divorce High Asset Divorce

Related Attorneys

See All Attorneys