Proprietary technologies, scientific processes and creative ideas are priceless and unique assets to your business. In fact, your intellectual property is your business’s most valuable asset. Maximizing these investments by protecting them is not optional. With that in mind you need Intellectual Property attorneys who thoroughly understand your business and can provide you with the comprehensive legal protection necessary to protect the intellectual property that is the essence of your business. Our experienced Intellectual Property attorneys are devoted exclusively to delivering our exceptional combination of value, expertise, competitive advantage and proven results as we guide you through the complex Intellectual Property process. Our intellectual property attorneys are lawyers, but they are also scientists, engineers and perhaps most important, business people.Our Intellectual Property attorneys serve clients across the U.S. and overseas, and are highly proficient in providing IP counsel and services in foreign markets.
We offer a full range of intellectual property legal services, including:
We offer our clients a full range of patent services, covering every phase of patent work, including:
- Obtaining patent protection for our clients: All of our Intellectual Property attorneys hold engineering or science/technology degrees and are licensed by the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office. This means they understand the value of the technologies your business has developed, and are adept at developing patent applications that will give your innovations the protection you need, regardless of the type of technology involved.
- Protecting foreign patent rights: Requirements for obtaining and protect patents vary greatly from country to country. With significant experience in foreign patent work, our attorneys are extremely familiar with the nuances of patent work in markets around the world, and are capable of protecting the integrity of your patents, regardless of location.
- Avoiding patent infringement issues: Our Intellectual Property attorneys are extremely proficient in working with comprehensive patent databases to keep you to avoid infringing on the patents of your competition. They also have the experience to recognize when your patents are being infringed upon and when action must be taken to protect your intellectual capital.
- Licensing: The maximum value of your innovative technologies can be realized through the strategic, visionary execution of licensing agreements. This is where the return on your investments of time, energy, technical expertise, creativity and capital must be realized. The well-executed licensing agreements our attorneys develop ensure you will maximize your ROI. At the same time, we understand when your best choice is to license a technology from other entities. While our attorneys are experienced in developing these agreements, they have an excellent understanding of the business considerations that go into them.
- Prosecuting and defending patent suits: Our Intellectual Property attorneys have deep experience in both the plaintiff and defense side of patent suits. We have the experience to litigate vigorously and effectively on behalf of our clients, and have won multi-million dollar patent infringement suits on behalf of our clients. We also recognize when it’s more cost-effective to employ arbitration, mediation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution. In addition, we have significant experience in representations before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board of the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office. Most important to our clients, we have the experience and the business acumen to understand the best strategy to employ with each matter.
Sandberg Phoenix’s Intellectual Property attorneys work with our clients to protect their original works of authorship from unauthorized copying. We have managed a full range of copyright matters, including, but not limited to protecting:
- Computer hardware and software programming code
- Written works such as books, manuscripts, poetry, sheet music, reports, manuals, product schematics and plans, maps, etc.
- Visual works such as photos, drawings, sculptures and paintings
- Videos and movies
- Sound recordings
- Architectural plans
- Ornamental products, such as jewelry, lamps, etc.
- Mask works (computer chips)
- Our copyright practice is divided into three primary areas:
- Registering Copyrights: Our Intellectual Property attorneys assist clients in the registration of copyrights. With the help of our paralegals, we can keep copyright registration costs low, making it cost effective to register your valuable copyrights.
- Licensing: Our attorneys assist clients in licensing their copyrights to others and, also, securing licenses from third parties. Licenses can be structured in many ways to best meet the expectations and requirements of both parties. Our attorneys draw upon their previous experience to craft a suitable agreement, and we utilize creativity in addressing new situations.
- Prosecuting and Defending Copyright Suits in the Courts: Our Intellectual Property attorneys enforce their clients’ copyrights against infringers and defend their clients when threatened with infringement. Often copyright disputes can be resolved without resorting to litigation. If the copyright was timely registered, statutory damages can be awarded which can exceed the lost profits caused by the infringement.
The distinction of a well-advised business is how well the business protects its name and its brands. Registering trademark rights and aggressively protecting them should be a priority for any organization. Sandberg Phoenix’s trademark practice is focused on five primary areas:
- Obtaining Trademark Protection: Our attorneys assist clients in protecting one of their most valuable assets: their names and brands. Our Intellectual Property attorneys dedicate a significant portion of their practice to trademark protection.
- Protecting Foreign Rights: Our attorneys routinely help clients protect their names and brands in foreign countries. By utilizing international treaties and our network of foreign associates we are able to secure and enforce our client’s trademark rights around the world.
- Infringement Avoidance: A trademark availability search should be performed before using a new mark to help determine if a proposed mark is already in use or if a confusingly similar mark exists for related goods and/or services. Our attorneys perform clearance searches to counsel clients about the risk associated with proposed marks to help prevent clients from adopting marks already in use.
- Licensing: Our attorneys assist clients in licensing their trademarks to others and, also, securing licenses from third parties. Licenses can be structured in many ways to best meet the expectations and requirements of both parties. Our attorneys draw upon their previous experience to craft a suitable agreement, and we utilize creativity in addressing new situations.
- Prosecuting and Defending Trademark Suits in the Courts: Our Intellectual Property attorneys have successfully prosecuted and defended many trademark suits in state and federal courts. We have successfully obtained injunctions against others who use marks similar to our clients’ marks and prevented the issuance of injunctions against our clients’ use of marks. We also prosecute and defend trademark registration opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office. In addition, our attorneys work with the U.S. Customs Department to prevent infringing products from entering the United States from other countries.
Matters of intellectual property litigation pose a serious financial risk to companies and individuals alike, and require very technical knowledge and an analytical approach in order to achieve a successful outcome. At Sandberg Phoenix, we have experienced both criminal and civil intellectual property cases from both the plaintiff and defendant sides and possess significant expertise in a diverse variety of situations and claims.
We understand that intellectual property cases require efficient and decisive action to recover damages or mitigate the impact of the litigation on the ability of the company to continue functioning and returning a profit. These cases are high stakes and require an in-depth knowledge of our clients’ products and industries and the ability to synthesize complex, technical information into an easily-understood concept for juries and judges.
We are experienced in a wide range of intellectual property disputes, including patent, copyright and trademark infringement, false advertising, licensing and trade secret and trade dress matters. These cases have taken place in Missouri, Illinois, Michigan, Virginia, Alabama and California, among other states, and have taken place in both federal and state courts. We have handled cases involving agencies including the International Trade Commission (ITC), Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB). From applications for emergency injunctive relief, including restraining orders, preliminary injunctions and seizures to declaratory judgment proceedings, trials and appeals, our attorneys are prepared to handle virtually any situation involving your intellectual property rights.